Friday, November 30, 2007

Taking Bear to Work

Yesterday, I had a surreal experience. I took Bear into my office so I could pack my own desk for an upcoming cubicle move. (Yes, I am losing the most swanky view in Seattle...gone will be my view of the downtown skyline, and when I return to work in January I'll be looking over at the West Seattle peninsula. Tragic, really. But I thoroughly enjoyed it while it lasted.)

So I was asked by my co-worker friends if I wanted to pack my own things, or if I'd prefer to have them pack up all my stuff. It made me uncomfortable to think of them packing their own stuff plus my junk, so I decided to go in and pack things myself. It took about 15 minutes, really. (I travel light at work; you never know what may happen.)

Having Bear at my cubicle, staring at me with his father's big, gorgeous blue eyes, was really surreal. The last time I sat in that cubicle, I was out-to-there pregnant with him. Couldn't wait to meet him. And now, fast forward three months, and he's here and I love him to bits and I love being his mother. And even with all the love in the air, I felt like going back to work seemed like a good idea after all. On the roller coaster ride of my LOA, I'm suddenly feeling quite contented with returning to my job.

I have another 31 days of maternity leave to enjoy. I'm going to get about the work of enjoying it!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I think it is awesome that you are ready to go back to work...it means that you really love what you do. And mama being happy makes for a good mama.

Kimberly Ann said...

Lorraine has it right. You being happy is the key to being a good mom, I think. I know that because when I'm unhappy I sure can see the difference in my house. Enjoy the rest of the days of your LOA.