Thursday, November 15, 2007

Christmas Cards

Why, oh why, do I drive myself crazy with this odd Christmas card obsession? I have some hard wiring that makes me absolutely compelled to send Christmas cards every year...why...???

DH had the brilliant notion last night that spending nearly $140 on sending fancy-schmancy (albeit totally coolio) Christmas cards was totally not financially and resource appropriate this year. He reminded me that, hello, we've just spent a few thousand dollars on hospital bills for having our kid...we did lovely, posh birth announcements...we had a secret photo shoot of the Bear with a fab photographer...we are throwing a baptism party...and, last but not least, I AM ON MATERNITY LEAVE so we have had to be very careful with our pennies.

(And I must add here, in all fairness, that we did budget and save for every single one of the aforementioned projects...except the damned fancy-schmancy Christmas cards!)

I have a newborn at home. Why, oh why, do I feel this sickening obsession with sending out Christmas cards?!? DH convinced me of the error of my ways. And this has helped lighten my load substantially. I cancelled my photo card order with Tiny Prints, and we'll try again next year. When we have a toddler. And life is even MORE crazy. Ha!

But I still have this sickening pull to send out cards. What's the deal???

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I have a simple plan for Christmas cards. I only send them to people I never see. Cuts down on the stress.

That said, this would be a good year for a letter, don'tcha think? Which you could print out on pretty-but-way-less-expensive than-a-card-paper and adorn with fabulous pics of your beautiful son. No one would blame you.

Just don't say anything about your sciatica acting up or your gall bladder surgery. I HATE that stuff in a Christmas letter.

Kimberly Ann said...

I'm with Lorraine. I don't send them to people I see. And I don't dig the Christmas letter thing. If we aren't close enough to talk through the year, I don't need to know that little Johnny made Eagle scout, blah blah blah. The only cards I am sending this year will likely be to Walter Reed Hospital. I'm joining the Send a Vet a card thingy that's been making the rounds on the Web. I'm going to use up some cards that I have stashed in my decoration boxes.