Wednesday, December 5, 2007

It's Been One of Those Weeks...

Wow, Bear has been on a feeding frenzy lately. Which means that we're on an every-three-hours feeding cycle at the moment. I've been reading that the three month marker usually presents a big growth spurt. Bear is definitely growing...pudging up and looking extra cute. I think the only trait he got from me are those thunder thighs of his.

It's been one of those weeks when I feel as though I'm just treading water. There is a ton of stuff to do around here to get ready for the baptism on Saturday. My mother flies in tomorrow, my sister and her husband come on Saturday, we have a workshop on Saturday morning, and then Bear gets dunked at the 5:30pm mass. Then we're having thirty people to our home for a buffet dinner. Yikes, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

I'm playing Perfectionism games with myself lately. How can I create the perfect looking holiday mantle? What's the best way to display the Christmas cards we receive? I must get our live tree up in the living room since we've got the artificial tree up in the great room. We must do luminarias for the front walkway. I will get more lights for the kitchen tree tomorrow. Time to get the loft tree set up with colored lights and ornaments.

YEESH. Someone please tell me to take a chill pill. I have a baby in the house, I'm sleep deprived, I haven't been eating well, and I think I'm being fueled solely by coffee and some weird obsessive-compulsive desire to make our house "perfect" before our big party on Saturday evening. WHAT GIVES? Who have I become, and why am I putting all of this pressure on myself???

It feels nice to be open here about the weird pressures I'm putting on myself. All two of my loyal readers will surely have good guidance for me. :)

I'm going to take a few deep breaths, have a cup of herbal tea, and go take a soak in the tub. Tomorrow will be a better day.

2 comments:

Doralong said...

Nothing personal honey- but they're coming to see the baby and really don't care what the house looks like..

While I fully understand the compulsion, fight it. If the bathrooms are clean and the grandparents get to eat nothing else matters because the little cutie is going to be all anyone is looking at.

Seattle Coffee Girl said...

Thanks for talking some sense into me, doralong. I needed that...