Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Crock Pot Recipe: Chicken Paprikash

DH gives this a 10 out of 10. It kicks some serious booty, and I puffy-heart anything that bubbles in a crock all day long. It makes me hungry all day long when I'm at home with a simmering crock o' deliciousness. No wonder I snarfed all those Trader Joe's Peppermint Candycane Joe Joe's for lunch today. AACK.

Chicken Paprikash
Serves 4

1 lb. chicken breast, sliced into 4" long strips
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 square containers of cremini mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1 small red bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. salt
pepper, to taste
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. sour cream
1 Tbsp. flour

Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Sear the chicken strips. Put them in the crock. Using remaining oil in pan, saute veggies, garlic and paprika for about five minutes. Add the salt and pepper, then put it on top of the chicken in the crock pot. Add the chicken stock and let it simmer on low for five to six hours. Just before ready to serve, mix the flour into the sour cream. (This will prevent the cream from curdling in the hot liquid.) Add the sour cream mixture to the crock, then heat on high for about ten minutes until the liquid thickens.

One of these days, I'm going to try this using smoked paprika. Mmmm...

Serve over some buttered egg noodles, or just put it into a shallow bowl so you can slurp it up like DH does. :)

3 comments:

Kimberly Ann said...

This sounds deelish. And it fits in nicely with my eastern European/Russian yearnings right now. I can slurp this down while finishing Gorky Park.

Lorraine said...

Huzzah! You know I'm always looking for a good crock pot recipe!

Seattle Coffee Girl said...

KA, I know this won't disappoint. It's fast and easy and delish.

LT, I know you love the slow cooker recipes! Glad I could help on that front.